Sunday, October 23, 2011

weekend wrap up......

This was a very busy weekend for me. I worked extra hard during the week to get things accomplished so that I would be able to leisurely enjoy my days off to the fullest. Maybe I should do that more often..... After the concert Friday night, my boyfriend and I got the chance to enjoy some much needed quality time. During football season, he's normally super tired during the week because they have practice... and teaching middle school kids in addition to coaching, normally makes him want to crash by the time the week is over. We enjoyed each others company and did absolutely nothing until it was time for me to go to my book club meeting. One of my friends invited me to join her book club, and since I am a total bookworm, I graciously accepted her invitation. It wasn't what I expected, but I did get a new pair of shoes(I need to vaccum my car out) and the opportunity to read Cane River by Lalita Tademy (which was a good read and I want to check out Red River, her other novel)so it was definitely worth my time.

After the book club meeting one of my friends told me she needed to decompress after a long and treacherous week of work and school (she's getting her phd, and works full time)so we went to one of my favorite restaurants, Chuy's, for drinks and conversation. My sangria and sopapillas were delightful.... A friend of mine, and a friend of hers also joined us and by the looks of things by the time we left, she had definitely decompressed...mission accomplished...
Church was amazing.... and now I am making a good faith effort to be in bed by 11:30 so that I can be up bright and early for court in the morning.

Overall, my weekend was just what I needed.... peaceful, blessed and full of good times with good people. It's amazing how much things can change when you change the starting line up of people who you spend time with. Negative people tend to bring unnecessary drama and negativity in your life. I don't think I'm better than anyone or above any situation, nor do I think I am a judgmental person. I just feel like I have been through a lot and that I do not deserve to be banished to living the same existence I did when things were not going right in my life. There was a time when I was unhappy, and during those days it seems like people were around me simply to revel in the fact that I was unhappy. I had people around me who were stuck in the past, clinging to stories from ten years ago, holding on to the behaviors that befit us as college students, recklessly living life as if consequences did not matter...and I chose to separate myself from that. I didn't leave with bad blood, nor did I think I offended anyone with my departure. But during the course of a conversation with an acquaintance it was mentioned that two individuals I used to be extremely close to had inquired about my whereabouts and gave their opinion as to why I had made my disappearance from the scene. They felt that I thought I was better than them now, that I had forgotten the things I had done in the past, was judgmental and I'm assuming that I thought I was too good to hang out with them. At first these comments angered me. I wanted to lash out and ask why was I being discussed, when in actuality the last conversation I had with one of them was her being dismissive with me, and the other girl I had not even talked to, but assumed the one I had talked to had puppet mastered her own ideas and ideologies about my new found mentality and turned the other girl against me. I never judged, nor did I portray myself to be above anything...I just stopped doing certain things which I felt were no longer acceptable in my life. I didn't know growing up was offensive, and to this day I still cannot understand why someone would fault you for wanting to better your life and not be stuck in the same pit you were in years ago. I just really could not understand why I would be a topic of conversation.... Instead of retaliating I decided to just let it go. I guess it is hard to understand why someone would leave a group especially if you think what you are doing is right and are unwilling to change. I don't think about them regularly, and I really don't even bring them up in conversation unless someone mentions a name. I think it would be pointless to address and I really hope they both find their way. People come in to your life for a season, and I am grateful for all the memories...I don't think I'm better than you, nor can I pass judgment on anything anyone does. I respect the past, I just choose not to dwell in it and I honestly don't see the fault in that.....

I have been blessed beyond measure and as I grow older, I am discovering what things are worth making a big deal over, and which ones genuinely do not matter. I pray for everyone regardless of where we stand now, and I hope others can do the same.

This will be yet another busy week for me. Court, court and more court....and hopefully a little enjoyment on the side... I still need to figure out what I want to do for my birthday... and hopefully squeeze in some time to do a little shopping... October is almost over, and I look forward to what lies ahead....

3 comments:

  1. Prayer for people has really softened my heart toward others. It is so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you had an awesome weekend with positive people. I love what you said about praying for those people who did not understand that you chose to be better and changed of friends was a requirement for that. Like you said, don't dwell on it. You are changing and becoming the woman God intended you to do, the same people that are talking negatively about you now, will come and congratulate you when they see you accomplishing what God had destined for you. Your light will also allow them to grow and become the women God wanted them to me but only if they are willing.

    Continue to grow in Him and stay blessed Hun. Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peaceful weekends are always needed! And sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is letting go off negativity...be true to yourself always! Thanks for sharing something so personal. Have a stress free week if you can!

    ReplyDelete