A few weeks ago I posted a status on facebook that simply stated, "..Enjoy life to the fullest. Take risks, learn from mistakes....and never be afraid to love somebody unconditionally. Oh yeah, and travel a lot." At the time, I did not see any error in my statement...at least until one of my friends sent me a message that said that I needed to love "responsibly" in addition to the unconditional. I asked her to give me a better explanation of what she meant..and then went further and asked her if after this past almost a year, did she still have thoughts that my relationship was not what it seems and merely a means of getting over a past relationship(this is not what I told her verbatim, but a good summary of the question I was trying to ask her)..her response was "no comment."
In essence, I probably should have insisted that she give me some sort of explanation in lieu of changing the subject, but I really did not care to hear an explanation at that time. I brushed it off, but that statement via blackberry messenger really did bother me. I spoke with a close friend, and even mentioned it to my boyfriend and they both gave me responses that coincided with what my initial thoughts were....but the term "responsible" added before love, really has been perplexing the hell out of me.
Now I've heard the term drink responsibly, but loving that way? Is that even truly possible? In my past relationship, I think an admonishment to be responsible would have been well deserving. Don't keep trusting, don't keep trying, don't keep letting someone treat you like this...I know you love him, but just be responsible... Well no one ever used that terminology with me during that time. But then again, looking back, I don't think I was thinking rational enough to even process the ideal of responsibility. But what does loving responsibly mean, when the scenario is nothing like the prior situation?
Should I go through the entirety of my relationship being cautious and afraid to fall? Should I second guess his intent when he tells me he loves me or how important I am in his life? Do I sleep with one eye open in anticipation of the day...(because it has yet to occur)... my trust for him is broken? Do I not take risks without strict evaluation, and thorough consideration? Or do I just not allow myself to enjoy the moment, because a year ago I was trying to escape a horrible situation...because surely I am not worthy of maybe having lucked upon "the one" in the midst of getting over someone who was definitely not him?
I'm sure my friend did not mean any harm when she made that statement, but it did make unpleasant thoughts waiver in my mind. It didn't create any doubt in my current situation, because even if he is not the one...he is single-handedly rebuilding my self esteem for whatever act could potentially follow him. I'm not angry or anything and I'm very content with loving the person I'm with unconditionally, but have I misinterpreted what it would mean to love someone "responsibly?"
See this is why I left FB because in and indirect way it causes little mini drama in your life or your mind. This is also why while I am so open book, I hate it because people can speak on your situation. You are fine girl, love unconditionally and pray and ask God to give you the insight that you need to see what it is that you need to see. If something is not right it will come out, but don't start worrying about things now. Your so happy now... stay that way! Love ya! :o)
ReplyDelete